A Planner is needed for a full-time, staff opportunity with Mason & Hanger. The selected candidate can reside in Glen Allen, VA and/or Virginia Beach, VA and/or Lexington, KY and/or Huntsville, AL.
The Planner will develop project plans, designs, specifications or technical solutions that are limited in scope, under the supervision of senior planners and architects. Working from the design or guidance of others, performs routine planning assignments.
The Planner will participate on a wide range of master planning task orders to include Master Plans, Area and Installation Development Plans, Vision Plans, Real Property Master Planning, Land Use Studies, Infrastructure Requirements Analyses, Planning Charrettes, Construction Programming and similar planning work for the Department of Defense, Federal, State and local governments, and private sector clients. Team member assists in the execution of Task Orders under the direction of senior planners and architects to successfully complete planning projects with limited responsibility for design.
The work you’ll be doing:
• Creating and editing drawings (CAD / BIM).
• Working on Construction Documents (CD’s).
• Assist with presentations, models, renderings, and proposal.
• Construction Admin: submittals, RFI’s, contractor questions/issues Participate on field inspections, measure and record as-built.
• Complying with data protection principles while handling personal, protected and / or Covered Defense Information on behalf of Day & Zimmermann. Data Handlers should be trained to follow documented policies, standard operating procedures and secure practices associated with protecting trusted employee and customer data.
What You Need to Bring to the Table:
• Bachelors or Master’s Degree in Architecture, Landscape Architecture, or Planning from an accredited school.
• 1 – 4 years’ experience.
• Active pursuit of American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) certification preferred.
• Ability to obtain security clearance.
• Great attitude and team player.
• Successful completion of background screening process.
The Big Picture – Top Skills You Should Possess:
• Developing proficiency with document and drawing production software regularly used in the department (InDesign, Microsoft Office Suite, AutoCAD, Revit, Microstation, etc.).
• Learning planning principals, processes, formats, and project preparation requirements.
• Grows understanding of planning, design and construction processes. Ability to read and understand specifications, technical documents and building drawings.
• Increases knowledge of regularly used guidance and policy documents, forms, database systems and reports, codes and standards within department.
• Must build trusted relationships with department through maintaining ownership for assigned work and delivering efficient and high quality results. Expected to be a proactive learner, responsible to seek out support when needed, identify expectations, check own work output against quality expectations, and pursue opportunities to grow technical capabilities. Maintains professional humility and respect in partnership with all team members in pursuit of overall project success. Is expected to know their own technical limitations and proactively seek out support where needed.
• Ability to take direction and guidance from more senior staff within department.
• Data privacy, information security and policy compliance.
Must be able to perform the following physical and mental tasks:
• Visual acuity (e.g., needed to prepare and analyze data, to transcribe documents, to view a computer, to read, to inspect objects, to operate machinery.
• Repetitive motion of any part of the body.
• Capacity to think, concentrate and focus for long periods of time.
• Ability to read complex documents in the English language.
• Capacity to reason and make sound decisions.
• Ability to write complex documents in the English language.
• Capacity to express thoughts orally.