White geometric forms coming off of a wood surface.
News + Events
Job Announcement Associate or Full Professor, Director of Technology
The School of Architecture at the University of Kentucky College of Design invites applicants to apply for a new faculty position, important in taking the next step toward integrating design technology within the disciplines. The Director of Design Technology will be charged with helping formulate new curriculum and infrastructure focused on the future of design technology, including advanced computation and fabrication. The Director will work across the disciplines identifying opportunities to embed technology into the curriculum. We are seeking applicants who have extensive firsthand experience employing emerging design technologies both academically and professionally, and who have made a significant contribution to their discipline. The Director is expected to continually update and advance Design Technology within the College to ensure that it aligns with, or exceeds industry standards. Applicants must possess a clear understanding of the relationship between digital and analogue tools and techniques in design, and be committed to moving design forward through developing, implementing and conducting courses that integrate technology within the curriculum. The applicant is expected to work with the Dean, the Unit heads, and other administrators and faculty in developing and overseeing the overall Design Technology focus of the College. In addition, the Director is expected to cultivate collaborations with faculty, students and industrial partners, to expand upon academic and research opportunities.
Directorship and Leadership
- Develop Design Technology curriculum with both College and Unit level curriculum committees
- Direct and work in collaboration with faculty focused on computation and the act of making, and with coordinators at each level
- Maintain, update and introduce software and hardware to keep Design Technology current in curriculum and in studios
- Develop and maintain, with IT and fabrication staff, a Design Technology budget
- Cultivate public/private industry partnerships
- Purchase software and equipment
- Hire, train, direct and supervise IT and fabrication staff and student workers
Instruction and Collaboration
- Interface with College and Unit level curriculum committees
- Develop and teach Design Technology courses at multiple levels
- Collaborate with faculty to develop methods of integrating Design Technology into courses
- Develop and conduct workshops with faculty and students
- Provide support to faculty regarding course and research project needs
- Terminal degree in the candidate’s academic field, preferably in architecture, interiors, design, technology or closely related discipline
- Meets the requirements for the rank of tenured associate or full professor at the University of Kentucky
- Nationally or internationally recognized leader in their discipline, who has made significant contributions preferably both professionally and academically
- Demonstrated experience in developing innovative processes and methods, preferably including pedagogy and curriculum development
- Evidence of college or university teaching excellence, or demonstrated ability to teach or train within industry
- Experience leading and coordinating design teams employing emerging technologies, preferably in architecture, design, fabrication or construction
- Demonstrated experience across multiple digital workflows, extensive prototyping experience, and, preferably, achieved built architectural works utilizing advanced technologies
- Extensive software knowledge, programming capabilities, and the ability to apply skills toward additive and subtractive CNC tools
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of students, faculty, staff and constituencies in a multi-ethnic and multi-cultural community
- Demonstrated capacity to successfully collaborate with industry
- Experience and background to collaborate on multi-disciplinary initiatives with other academic units and peers in the college and university
Applicants should apply via the UK Jobs site here: ukjobs.uky.edu and should include:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter
- Specific Request 1: portfolio containing examples of professional work, design research, scholarship and teaching as relevant to your background
Please provide the names and contact information for at least three references when prompted in the application. This information will be utilized to solicit recommendation letters from your references within the employment system.
Review of applications will begin February 20, 2017 and continue until the position is filled. The anticipated start date for the position is August 1, 2017. Please contact Jeffrey Johnson, Director of the School of Architecture.
The University of Kentucky is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce by ensuring all our students, faculty, and staff work in an environment of openness and acceptance. We strive to foster a community where people of all backgrounds, identities, and perspectives can feel secure and welcome. We also value the well-being of each of our employees and are dedicated to creating a healthy place to work, learn and live. In the interest of maintaining a safe and healthy environment for our students, employees, patients and visitors the University of Kentucky is a Tobacco & Drug Free campus.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we strongly encourage veterans, individuals with disabilities, women, and all minorities to consider our employment opportunities.